Minicipality Kubrat


The earliest written evidence of the settlement is since 1624. According to the legends it is established in the beginning of XVth century. A malicious and greedy lord named Enitsa has ruled at that time. He has locked all the wells, except one. The local residents and people from the near by villages have bought water from the well for copper coins. Due to this fact the settlement has been famous as Balbunar (Copper well).

One kilometer and a half east from Kubrat, in the region Yanka, Balbunar settlement hill is situated. Of the accomplished excavations, it becomes clear that round the hill a settlement has existed 4000 years ago. In VII century the population has been Slovenian and Bulgarian one. The settlement has existed till the time Bulgaria came under Ottoman yoke (the beginning XIV). On its place the village Balbunar has been established by new comers. First houses have been located round the Copper well, the today Kubrat square.

In 1890 a primary school is established in Balbunar and on 4th of May 1891 cultural club "Kiril and Matodiy" is established.

Balbunar accepts its new name in 1934 - after the name of the proto-Bulgarian khan Kubrat, famous in Bulgarian history with his wise advice to his sons: to be united, so that no one to be able to crush them as it is not easy the vineyards sticks tight in a bundle to be crushed.

The most significant achievements of Kubrat till 1940 are two mills, one cotton-combing work shop and an oil-factory. The main means of living of the population is agriculture, stock-breeding, timber production, brick-making, trade with Balkan and manufacturer's goods. In 1945 a Labour Productive Cooperative, which unites all small business craftsmen has been established. There are established sections for tailoring, shoes making, saddle-making, iron production, timber production and others.

In 1949 the village of Kubrat is proclaimed a town.